B.A.LL.B., LL.M. (U.K.)
SYMBIOSIS LAW SCHOOL, PUNE
UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM, UK
Mr. Anshumaan Sahni, an alumnus of Symbiosis Law School (SLS), Pune and University of Nottingham (UK) handles the Litigation, Dispute Resolution, Policy Advisory, Tax and Commercial practice at the Firm and has immense experience in the field with a specialized LLM in International Commercial Laws focusing on Trade, Tax and Procurement. He brings with him a vast domain of knowledge to operate in these fields of law.
Mr. Sahni has worked on several high-profile matters in his field of specialization and has acquired much experience to lead from the front. He regularly appears in the Delhi High Court and Specialised (Commercial) Tribunals in Delhi and in High Courts of several other cities as well. Some of the assignments he has handled is below:
- Conducting a litigation against an internet search giant for an individual’s right to be forgotten online | Right to Privacy against Non-State Actors – currently pending in the Delhi High Court;
- Assisted Income-tax Counsel in Delhi High Court in matters involving India-Netherlands DTAA interpretation issue; in International tax matters against major Telecom Companies; in Search & Seizure matters; & in Electricity Tariff Taxation of a Govt. Thermal Company;
- Representing a Major Firm dealing in antiques and replica firearms; ceremonial military swords; and manufacturing and exporting costumes to major Hollywood houses of production in their litigation before the Delhi High Court against wrongful seizure of a consignment of firearm replicas. Successfully got the consignment released. Also representing the client in the Bombay High Court, CESTAT and Customs’ Commissionerates for their issues regarding export benefits;
- Retainer with Defence Production Companies for providing full legal advisory in setup and initial operations phase & in Regulatory & IP space;
- Policy Advisory to International E-Commerce companies in India;
- Retainer with Railways Authorities for their Contractual, Procurement and Arbitration work in their commercial ventures;
- Working on medical devices Patents and their commercialization strategies;
- Working with a New Age Movie and TV Production Studio providing legal advisory to their storylines and scripts in producing content that substantially involves courts and justice system;
- Working with the one of the biggest Student Housing Set-ups in India including Policy Advisory;
- Working with a Policy & Business Advisory Firm providing Legal and Policy Advice to their clients that include Cruise Liners, International FMCG Companies, E-Commerce Companies, Healthcare Companies, etc.
Major Areas of Work
- Litigation – Taxation | Commercial | Civil | Armed Forces | Corporate Insolvency;
- Indirect Tax Law – Customs Law| EXIM Regime | Anti-Dumping |GST;
- Direct Tax Law – International Transactions’ Taxation Advisory | DTAA |International Taxation & Transfer Pricing | Cross-Border Business & Services;
- Intellectual Property Rights – Commercial Agreements| Defence IP | Advanced Technologies IP;
- Policy Advisory – Public Policy in India | Foreign & Domestic Trade Policy including WTO Law & Policy | FTA Negotiations Advisory | Economic Policy Advisory;
- International Trade Law – International Trade Contracts | International Trade Finance;
- Specialist Contracting – Maritime | Offshore Oil & Gas Exploration | Defence Production | Commodities Trade;
- Procurement – Government Procurement in India | Tenders | Defence Procurement Strategies| Make in India – Offsets & Exports | Contract Management& Dispute Resolution;
- Alternate Dispute Resolution –International Commercial Arbitration | Domestic Arbitration | Mediation | Conciliation;
- Start-Ups – Legal |Regulatory | Tax Advisory under Make in India and Start Up India;
- International Business –Tax & Policy Advisory to foreign entity for setup of business in India;
- Corporate Law – Joint Ventures | Mergers &Acquisitions| Private Equity;
- International Environment & Development Laws – Litigation |Policy Advisory;
- Social Development Sector – Litigation |Policy Advisory.
Pro Bono Work:
- Handling and Conducting Litigation for the Rights of Children with Special Needs (CWSN). Argued before Delhi High Court and secured a judgment where for the first time the Court has universalized their access and right to education, (2014) 5 HCC (Del) 215. The Court setup a separate admission mechanism for such children who are also referred to as a silent minority so that there may be least impediment in their securing access to education before actually receiving an education. Currently defending the Judgment in Supreme Court to make the mechanism applicable pan India. Successfully ensured reservation of 3% seats for such children in Private Unaided Recognized Schools in Delhi.Running other litigations for rights of persons and children with special needs.
- Handled and Represented the Association for Victims of the Uphaar Tragedy (AVUT) before Supreme Court. The First Criminal Case in India where the victims were given equal right as the prosecution to put their case forward and make their voice heard. Amongst other things, he has been instrumental in getting a successful order in Review getting the order of Sentencing of Convicts modified ultimately heralding much awaited justice to the Victims’ kin.
- Working as a Legal Expert with the South Asia Initiative to End Violence Against Children (SAIEVAC), a SAARC Apex Body headquartered in Kathmandu that works to end all forms of physical or mental violence, injury and abuse, neglect and negligent treatment, maltreatment or exploitation, including sexual abuse. Currently working on a Regional Strategy (leading to drafting of a SAARC law that would be then adopted by the SAARC Member States as Domestic Law) for the Elimination of Child Sexual Abuse and Exploitation including Online Safety.