Mr. Anshumaan Sahni, an alumnus of B.A.LL.B, Symbiosis Law School, Pune & LL.M. Nottingham University, UK handles the Litigation practice at the Firm and has immense experience in the field with a specialized LLM from the University of Nottingham (UK) in International Commercial Laws focusing on Trade, Tax and Procurement. He brings with him a vast domain of knowledge to operate in.
He has worked on several high profile matters in his field of specialization and has acquired the required experience to lead from the front. He is a member of the Delhi High Court Bar Association (DHCBA) and the Supreme Court Bar Association (SCBA).
He regularly appears in the major Courts and Tribunals in Delhi and in several other cities as well.
Some of the assignments he has handled are below:
- Assisted Income-tax Counsel in Delhi High Court in matters involving India-Netherlands DTAA interpretation issue; in International tax matters major Telecom Companies; in Search & Seizure matters; & Electricity Tariff Taxation of a Govt. Thermal Company;
- Representing a Major Importing Firm dealing in antiques and replica firearms in its litigation before the Delhi High Court against wrongful seizure of a consignment of firearm replicas. Successfully got the consignment released. Also representing the client in the Bombay High Court for its issues regarding export benefits derived from export of costumes and other material to major Hollywood houses of production.
Major Areas of Work:
- Direct Tax Law including Transfer Pricing;
- Trade Law and EXIM Regime encompassing Customs, Excise and Service tax (and presently focusing on switchover to GST);
- Constitutional Law and Civil, Commercial litigation including with specific focus on Government Tenders / Contracts, Infrastructure Projects Domestic & International Arbitration;
- Service Law including Armed Forces Service Law;
- Matters on Education especially with respect to rights of Children with Special Needs;
- Laws on Negligence (Medical and Criminal)
- Company Litigation including in the financial and banking sphere.
Pro Bono Work:
- Handling and Conducting Litigation for the Rights of Children with Special Needs (CWSN). Argued before Delhi High Court and secured a judgment where for the first time the Court has universalised their access and right to education. The Court setup a separate admission mechanism for such children who are also referred to as a silent minority so that there may be least impediment in their securing access to education before actually receiving an education. Currently defending the Judgment in Supreme Court to make the mechanism applicable pan India
- Handled and Represented the Association for Victims of the Uphaar Tragedy (AVUT) before the Supreme Court of India. The First Criminal Case in India where the victims were given equal right as the prosecution to put their case forward and make their voice heard. Amongst other things, he has been instrumental in getting a successful order in Review getting the order of Sentencing of Convicts modified ultimately heralding much awaited justice to the Victims’ kin.
- Working as a Legal Expert with the South Asia Initiative to End Violence Against Children (SAIEVAC), a SAARC Apex Body headquartered in Kathmandu that works to end all forms of physical or mental violence, injury and abuse, neglect and negligent treatment, maltreatment or exploitation, including sexual abuse. Currently working on a Regional Strategy (leading to drafting of a SAARC law) for the Elimination of Child Sexual Abuse and Exploitation including Online Safety.